Friday 9 May 2014

Watercolour Homework

Hello!

I am so ready for the weekend :) Are you?!

I have been really enjoying the current Watercolour Class for Cardmakers there is so much amazing inspiration from all of the designers.  I haven't had much time to experiment due to work this week but will try to catch up over the weekend

I have a few simple cards to share today using techniques from Days 1 and 2.

 
 
I wanted to try out Laura Bassen's technique of stamping with acrylic blocks. I used a small square block and overlapped the colours to get this look.  I used a range of distress inks including Salty Ocean, Mustard Seed, Mowed Lawn and Peeled Paint.  I cut the panel out with the Wonky Rectangle from Spellbinders and white embossed this sentiment from WPlus9.  I thought that some splatters would work well in the background :)  I am finding the main challenge of working with watercolours is the lack of control....however whilst this isn't perfect I quite like the variation of colour.  I think it will work for a guy card.
 
I have also made this card with the great Altenew Ori Kami set:
 
 
I simply white embossed the image and sentiment and created a watercolour background with Dusty Concord. Milled Lavender and Scattered Straw distress inks.  I will join in with Time Out Challenges latest challenge to create a project inspired by 'Time Flies, Love Lasts'.  I think the bird image and sentiment work with the theme.
 
Thanks for your visit - I hope to see you again soon :)
 
Sarah x
 

4 comments:

  1. both are great cards - love how you used the watercolor to best advantage in creating 2 classy cards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you are learning a lot in this class Sarah and I love that you joined us at TIME OUT with this stunning card.The background is fabulous, love the colours and the embossing perfect x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome watercolour cards & looks like a fun class. Thanks for taking the TIME OUT and joining in on the challenge :) Hugs Bev x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took the watercolor class too and I am also taken aback by the lack of control with watercolor. But that is the nature of the medium, I guess -- we just need to accept it. I've found that what Jennifer McGuire said is correct -- let the paints do their own thing -- the more you fuss with it the worse it gets. I'm doing a watercolor series on my blog right now. Hopefully I will get better.

    ReplyDelete